During the COVID-19 pandemic, a number of online resources for continuing oncology CPD have been made available. If you have any further links to add please e-mail Andrew Ho.
Regional registrar teaching
James Jones has been coordinating weekly teaching via Zoom every Tuesday. This is open to all medical and clinical oncology trainees in the region, with access to recordings afterwards. If you do not have access or are not on the distribution list and should be, please e-mail James directly.
Previous topics have included:
- 05/05/2020: Thyroid cancer (Dr Sarah Jefferies)
- 12/05/2020: Working at the interface between tumour and germline genetics: implications for the oncologist (Dr Gabriel Funingana)
- 19/05/2020: Management of breast cancer in pregnancy (Dr Henno Martin)
- 26/05/2020: Journal club: e Bono et al, Olaparib in metastatic prostate cancer, NEJM 2020 (Dr Brent O'Carrigan)
- 02/06/2020: AI in Oncology Diagnostics and Research (Dr Stephen John Sammut)
- 09/06/2020: Re-irradiation (Dr Richard Benson)
RCR Clinical Oncology summer school series
As a gesture to the UK oncology trainees who have been deployed to support the COVID-19 pandemic, Dr Frances Yuille, Medical Director of Education and Training and the RCR professional learning and development team have created a programme of one-hour teaching sessions which will be shown as live webinars to ensure oncology trainees have access to further education to hopefully compensate for any disruptions over the past few months. These will be recorded and made available for colleagues not able to join the live session, and for non-RCR members. More details are available here.
Previous and upcoming webinars include:
- 03/06/2020: Fertility in relation to cancer patients (Mr Stuart Lavery)
- 08/06/2020: Genomics: part 1 (Dr Terri McVeigh)
- 09/06/2020: Genomics: part 2 (Dr Angela George)
- 18/06/2020: Treatment of paediatric tumours – general principles (Dr Daniel Saunders)
- 22/06/2020: Radiotherapy for soft-tissue sarcomas (Dr Aisha Miah)
See the RCR webinar page for an updated list of previous and planned webinars. There is also a corresponding Clinical Radiology series which may have some webinars of interest (e.g. Rectal cancer staging (15/04/2020), Endometrial cancer (22/04/2020) and Showing surgical and radiotherapy relevant anatomy to MDT colleagues – anatomic reference points in colorectal cancer reporting (30/04/2020)).
Other RCR webinars
Fellows and members can access recordings of previous RCR-organised webinars.
- Learning systems: using data for continuous improvement
- Equipping Leaders to develop local healthcare improvement in partnership
- Supporting local, departmental and system wide continuous improvement
- Effective and inclusive leadership of and with your team
- HPB Webinar series: 1 - Precision radiation techniques for cholangiocarcinoma related to ABC07
- HPB Webinar series: 2 - Precision radiation techniques for pancreatic cancer
- 'Burnout' and how to maintain mental wellbeing
- A Gene Signature for Selecting Benefit from Hypoxia Modification of Radiotherapy for High-Risk Bladder Cancer Patients
- Abiraterone for Prostate Cancer Not Previously Treated with Hormone Therapy: Should we change practice
- QUARTZ Trial
- Part 1: Rationale and indications for IMC RT
- Part 2: Overview of possible techniques
- Part 3: Planning RNI Breast using Tomotherapy
- Part 4: Breath hold and wide tangents for Internal Mammary Chain Radiotherapy
- Part 5: VMAT treatment of the internal mammary chain
Other webinars of potential interest:
- Radiotherapy management of muscle invasive bladder cancer - evaluation of a national cohort
- Skin radiotherapy in modern era of clinical oncology
- PRIMETIME: Post-operative avoidance of radiotherapy: biomarker selection of women at very low risk of local recurrence
All of these (and more) can be accessed via the RCR webinar page.
Meet me in treatment planning: Disease site-specific experts discuss the important components of evaluating a treatment plan. Radiation oncology residents consistently report that plan evaluation is an aspect of residency training that is lacking. The goal of these webinar series is to allow a site-specific expert to lead residents through the key components of plan evaluation. These 45-minute live webinar sessions will be co-led by a resident, attending and dosimetrist/physicist, and will allow the opportunity for resident participation and questions.
Clinical radiation oncology and eContouring: Site-specific webinars with a focus on seminal trials and contouring for a variety of disease sites.