There are a number of payments that Educators and Practices may be entitled to whilst supervising GP Trainees.
Please see below for specific guidance on each of these payments.
If you have any queries in reference to the below, please contact GP Practice Payments Team.
Final chance to claim for any outstanding Trainer Grant, Educational Supervision and Continued Professional Development Payments relating to the 2018/19 financial year.
Please ensure any Honorary Contracts or claim forms are sent to us at firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 May 2019 in order for us to validate your claim and respond with invoicing instructions. If you are unsure of eligibility or how to make your claim you will find instructions and claim forms on our website:
Invoices must be received by our shared services at Wakefield by 31 July, we will be unable to process any invoices received after this. Claims must be made within the financial year to which they relate, individual reminders are not sent and it is the responsibility of Practices to ensure that claims for these areas of activity are made and that invoices are received and on our payment system within these timescales.
If you do have any queries please do come back to us (email@example.com) as soon as possible so that we can assist you in ensuring eligible claims are processed in time and your practice doesn’t miss out on these payments.
Educational Supervisors complete Educational Supervisor Reviews (ESR) for their Trainees every six months. For those reviews which are completed whilst the Trainee is in a hospital post a fee of £250.00 can be claimed.
Please note that claims will not be processed if a trainee is in an innovative or GP post. These reports will be covered by the trainers grant each practice receives. If a report is carried out for a trainee whilst in a GP post but separate to your own GP practice this money should be claimed via that practice through their trainer's grant fund.
ESR Claim Form
Educational Supervisors (not the Practice Manager) will need to complete the ESR Claim Form.
- All sections of this claim form must be completed.
- Claim forms MUST be received within 4 weeks of the ESR being completed and within the correct financial year in order for them to processed and paid.
- Incorrect claim forms will not be accepted.
One completed it is essential that the electronic form is emailed to the GP Practice Payments Team
Printed, scanned or posted forms will not be accepted, so please ensure you email us the original electronic form once your digital ID has been added and the form saved.
- Please ensure that you save the form locally and open the original electronic claim form in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader (not in a web browser or in PDF Previewer as the digital ID field will be disabled).
- You will need to set up a digital ID, however, this set-up process only needs to be completed once.
- Step by step guidance for setting up a Digital ID can be found here: Digital ID set up guide - Click Here
- If required, Adobe Reader is available to download for free here: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Free - Click Here
- Essential guidance for MAC users can be found here: Electronic form guidance for MAC users - Click Here we strongly recommend MAC users follow this guidance to ensure the form has opened with the correct software prior to completion.
Once the ESR Claim Form is received the Team will:
- Authorise the Claim
- If Authorised, they will email to confirm invoicing instructions and an Invoice Template.
Upon receipt of this email, the Practice will then need to raise an invoice and send through to the Wakefield address, which will be provided on the Invoice Template
- It is no longer possible to accept Personal Claims from Educational Supervisors, payments must be made through the Practice
We are pleased to advise that we are now able to coordinate the payment of the Trainer’s CPD Allowance for the period 2018 - 2019.
Who is Eligible?
The CPD allowance is for approved GP Trainers only. This cannot be claimed by Associate Trainers. Please do not submit an invoice for any Associate Trainer at your practice. Should you do this, you will be required to submit a credit note to remove this from the account and this will significantly delay the payment.
To qualify for this CPD payment Trainers must adhere to the following;
- Active GP trainers (within the last 2 years)
- Currently on the Performers List
- Maintaining performance as a GP Trainer which must be evidenced in NHS appraisal documentation
By raising a claim Trainers must declare that they meet all the qualifying and will form part of an audit trail for NHS Finance purposes.
How to Claim:
All that is required is to complete an invoice and send to SBS Wakefield to claim the £750.00 allowance. If there is more than one approved GP trainer at your practice, you may include all on one invoice. The practice invoice must be typed, handwritten invoices will not be accepted. Please ensure the invoice includes:
- Practice details
- Invoice number and invoice date
- The approved GP Trainer name(s) (this allowance is NOT for Associate Trainers)
- Practice account details
- Total amount (no VAT should be added)
Payment will then be made directly to your practice via the practice account. Under no circumstances should this invoice template be used for personal payments. No VAT should be added to this invoice.
All invoices must be with SBS Wakefield no later than 31st January 2019. We would recommend you allow at least two weeks for your invoice to reach SBS Wakefield.
Please contact the GP Practice Payments Team to receive a Invoice Template or for any further information .
Please note that the main contract of employment for Trainees is issued to the trainee by St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, which will contain information on annual leave and study leave entitlement, salary, incremental date, HR policies etc.
The Honorary Contract outlines the provision of Training for GP Trainees, it is the combined Trainer Agreement, Honorary Contract and Individual Educational Agreementbetween GP Specialty Training Registrars (GPStR), GP Educational Supervisor/GP
Trainer and Health Education England - East of England.
It is the responsibility of the practice to arrange for the honorary contract to be completed with the trainee. This must be returned to HEE no later than one month after the placement starts. If you are unsure of your GP Trainees placement dates, please contact your local Medical Education Centre. If you have any queries relating to annual leave entitlement please contact the Lead Employer.
Please be advised that we require:
- One honorary contract per placement. For example, if a trainee has a 4 month innovative placement followed by a 4 month full time placement, we will require one contract per placement.
- One honorary contract per training year. For example, if a trainee has a 12 month post, 6 months in ST2 and 6 months in ST3. We will require one contract for the first 6 months placement and then another contract for the second 6 month placement.
- One honorary contract per 12 month period. For example, for an 18 month placement, we will require an honorary contract for the first 12 months of the placement and then a second contract for the remaining 6 months, to be received by the office on or after the placement start date.
Should a trainee be granted an extension of training with the same practice then we will NOT require a further honorary contract. We will just require an email informing us of the extension, detailing the placement dates and the advised WTE percentage. Please note that this only applies to ST3 trainees who have received an extension past the set 3 years of training.
If your trainee is on an Innovative Post (ITP), this is classed as a full time GP post at 100% and the trainers grant will be paid at this rate to the practice. They are not working less than full time. Please ensure this is reflected on the honorary contract.
Please note that if your trainee is working less than full time (LTFT), please ensure that they have received approval from HEE. If your trainee does not have LTFT approval then the training grant will not be paid. For further information on LTFT please visit their webpage or contact the LTFT team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A template Honorary Contract can be found here.
If the link does not work, this is due to your version of Adobe. To solve this - Right click on the link and 'Save Link As' and save in your folders. You will then need to open the file from the folder that you saved it in.
Please ensure that you save the form locally and open the original electronic claim form in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader (not in a web browser or in PDF Previewer as the digital ID field will be disabled). You will need to set up a digital ID, however, this set-up process only needs to be completed once.
Step by step guidance for setting up a Digital ID can be found here: Digital ID set up guide - Click Here
If required, Adobe Reader is available to download for free here: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Free - Click Here
Essential guidance for MAC users can be found here: Electronic form guidance for MAC users - Click Here we strongly recommend MAC users follow this guidance to ensure the form has opened with the correct software prior to completion.
Trainers Grant -
We now pay the trainers grant in full for placements up to 12 months. For example, if you have a trainee for a six month period, you will receive the full six months grant in one payment.
You will receive an e-mail from HEE which confirms authorisation of the honorary contract and to submit your invoice (template will be provided on the e-mail) to SBS Wakefield. The payment will be made via BACS directly into the practice bank account.
Please submit your invoice to SBS Wakefield as soon as you receive authorisation from HEE. We will no longer be chasing you to submit an invoice; therefore this could result in you missing out on these allowances.
Please note that these invoices MUST be received within the correct financial year in order for them to processed and paid.
Return of Trainers Grant
Trainees may of course leave a placement in general practice early for a variety of reasons. HEE will make the full payment for the stated period as a benefit to practices’ cash flow. If for whatever reason the trainee is removed we would expect outstanding monies to be repaid to HEE promptly.