Background & Tiered Educator Strategy
As you are hopefully aware, GP Educator Courses have undergone a refresh in the past two years.
The old style 'AT' and 'AT to T' Courses are no more and have been replaced with a new Tiered Educator Strategy.
Steps to follow
This new strategy involves a blended approach of delivery and includes a number of core elements. Please visit: https://heeoe.hee.nhs.uk/general_practice/gp-educators/becoming-gp-educator and click on the 'Tier' that is relevant to you.
On this page, you will see the steps that you need to undertake to gain approval, along with a helpful pathway document. But to recap there are now 5 steps to follow:
- E-learning modules – to provide key foundation knowledge
- University (HEI) training – to learn the theory
- Health Education England (HEE) hub days – so you know how to apply that theory
- GP School Specific Educator Training – to learn the nuances in GP and the GP portfolio (Now video packs, followed by short online tutorial)
- Application for approval – to prove you paid attention
Details on how to access/book onto the first 3 steps are outlined in the webpage above, specific for each tier.
We would encourage aspiring educators to complete the steps above in order, however we are aware that the HEI and HEE Hub days may have to be attended after the GP School Specific Educator Training, due to capacity.
Due to restrictions in meeting in person steps 2, 3 and 4 are now going to be delivered virtually and we are pleased to say the GP School Specific Training part is now ready to launch.
Details on how to access the GP School Specific Educator Training (video packs) can be found below and don't forgot to also book onto an Online Tutorial once you have completed the videos!
Good luck and happy training!
GP School Specific Educator Training
As noted above educators would normally complete Steps 1-3 before completing the GP School Specific Educator Training, but due to capacity for the moment they can be completed in any order.
The GP School have been working hard to convert our previous GP School Specific Educator Training Days into an online offering.
The video packs that you need to complete will vary depending on the Tier you wish to apply for, this is detailed below. below replace the previous GP School Specific Days. Depending on which Tier you wish to apply for the packs that you need to complete will vary:
Panopto video packs: (10 hours and 15 minutes)
- Fundamental Pack for all Tiers; 2a, 2b and 3. (3 hours and a half, equivalent to morning of Day 1):
- Fundamental Video 1 – How do I become a GP Educator?
- Fundamental Video 2 – Which online learning modules do I need to do?
- Fundamental Video 3 - Consultation Observation Tool and AudioCOT
- Fundamental Video 4 - CEPS
- Fundamental Video 5 - Urgent and Unscheduled Care
- Tier 2a only: Fundamental Video 6 - So I've watched the Panopto videos, now what do I need to do?
- Intermediate Pack for Tiers 2b and 3 only (3 hours, equivalent to afternoon of Day 1)
- Intermediate Video 1 - Case-based Discussion
- Intermediate Video 2 - Clinical Supervisor Report
- Intermediate Video 3 - Reasons to become a GP Training Practice
- Intermediate Video 4 - Wider Workforce
- Tier 2b only: Intermediate Video 5 - So I've watched the Panopto videos, now what do I need to do?
- Advanced Pack for Tier 3 only (3 hours and 40 minutes, equivalent to Days 2 and 3)
- Advanced Video 1 – Moving from Clinical Supervision to Educational Supervision
- Advanced Video 2 - Personal Development Plan
- Advanced Video 3 - Reflective log Entries
- Advanced Video 4 - Applied Knowledge Test
- Advanced Video 5 - Educational Supervisor Review
- Advanced Video 6 – Understanding the ARCP Process
- Advanced Video 7 - Educator Notes
- Advanced Video 8 - Teaching Consultation Skills & Preparing your Trainee for the CSA Clinical Skills Assessment
- Tier 3 only: Advanced Video 9 - So I've watched the Panopto videos, now what do I need to do?
|Tier that you wish to apply to||Video Packs you need to complete|
|Tier 2a (OOH Supervisors)||Fundamental|
|Tier 2b (Associated Trainers)||Fundamental and Intermediate|
|Tier 3 (Trainers)||Fundamental, Intermediate and Advanced|
Once you've completed the videos, don't forget to book onto an Online Tutorial (details below)
The online tutorial is intended to enhance the educational value of the online Panopto elements by introducing discussion about the issues relevant to each tier of learning.
The length of the online tutorial will vary depending on the Tier you wish to apply for, but will be between 1 and 3.5 hours.
The programme is as follows:
08.45 - 09.00: Tier 3 learners Registration/briefing
09.00 - 11.00am: Consultation feedback exercise
11.30am-12.00pm: Discussion about consultation feedback exercise
12.00-12.15pm Break for Tier 3 Leaners
Tier 2a and B learner Registration/briefing
12.15-1.00pm COT and CEPS discussion
Tier 2a leave at 1pm
1.00-1.30pm: CBD discussion
Tier 2b and 3 leave at 1.30pm
To confirm the timings are:
08:45 - 13:30 for Tier 3
12:00 - 13:00 for Tier 2a
12:00 - 13:30 for Tier 2b
As soon as you complete all your training elements, you will have to book onto one of the live online tutorials, please book below:
|Date||Link to register|
|10/07/2023||Click here to book|
|23/08/2023||Click here to book|
|13/09/2023||Click here to book|
|12/10/2023||Click here to book|
|14/11/2023||Click here to book|
|06/12/2023||Click here to book|
|29/02/2024||Click here to book|
|16/04/2024||Click here to book|
Once you have completed the form, we will email you the online tutorial meeting details.
More dates will follow in due course.
If you need any further information or help please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.