- 23.09.22: Individual curriculum requirements page has been updated in line with new guidance. This page also includes guidance on ALS course booking.
- 10.11.21: Overseas Study Leave - Effective 15th November - HEE will be accepting applications for overseas study leave should they meet the criteria outlined in the policy, and funding may be agreed at the discretion of the Postgraduate Dean (or nominated Deputy). There will need to be clear agreement from the trainee that they will be liable to cover any excess costs incurred due to COVID disruption. This meas that if the trainee is unable to attend the approved overseas activity as a result of Covid-19 illness or restrictions, the trainee will be responsible for any non-refundable travel or course/conference fees. In addition, it will be the trainee's responsibility to seek approval from the employer prior to requesting the overseas study leave, that they are willing to support any need to delay their return to the UK or isolate on returning to the UK.
- 23.08.21: Appeals form with previous glitch corrected - new form available at the bottom of this page
- 20.01.21: Our revised Study Leave Appeal Process can be found HERE. The appeals form can be found at the bottom of this page.
- 19.01.21: Guidance relating to Covid related support for exam preparation can be found HERE.
- 26.11.20: Study Leave Provision for Virtual Teaching guidance document is available to be viewed - CLICK HERE
- 22.10.20: Advice/Guidance relating to study leave claims during Covid-19 has moved to our FAQs - CLICK HERE
- 05.10.20: Leadership & Management Training for Postgraduate Medical and Dental Trainees - CLICK HERE
- 27.07.20: New Foundation Year 2 Study Leave Application Process (see flowchart below) CLICK HERE FOR GUIDANCE
Trainees in the East of England may apply for study leave activity of any cost for courses that are mandated by the curriculum or those that are not, referred to as 'aspirational'. The eligibility criteria and process must be adhered to in order for applications to be approved.
Depending on the type and cost of your request, the application process may vary, please see guidance below:
- Curriculum mandated up to £600: During the recent revisions of curricula to make them capability-based, most mandated courses have been removed from curricula, the main exceptions being some life support courses. We have therefore removed the list of “approved courses” which used to appear here, while we review it. For any courses costing under £600 that are mandated in curricula, trainees need to apply via their employer’s local processes and the approval process will be manged locally. Please note that for courses delivering advanced life support skills training, it has been agreed nationally that a blended learning approach (one day each of distance and face-to face learning) is the preferred option, so please do not apply for two day face-to-face courses other than in truly exceptional circumstances; if you believe there are exceptional circumstances in your case, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to applying for the course.
- Curriculum mandated exceeding £600 and/or aspirational activity (any cost): Trainees will need to follow the employing Trusts study leave process and complete the additional HEE EoE digital form, available at the bottom of this page. Please refer to the short video below for guidance on properly downloading this form.
Application Process Flowcharts
How to Download and Open the HEE EoE Digital Form
The form cannot be opened or completed in a web browser. Please ensure you download and save the document locally on your PC/laptop, then open it as a PDF with Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader before completing.
Our digital forms can be found at the bottom of this page.
If a doctor or dentist in training disagrees with a decision about study leave funding, they should in the first instance contact the relevant authoriser that refused the application to request an explanation / review.
If a doctor or dentist in training remains of the opinion that the wrong decision has been made, they can appeal against the decision using the HEE East of England appeal form.
Please see our appeal process detailed in our policy HERE.
Step by step guidance on how to set up a digital ID - Digital ID instructions
Electronic form guidance for Mac users - Mac user guidance
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Free - Click Here
National Study Leave Guidance Document - Click Here
HEE Coronavirus (Covid-19) Information for Trainees - Click Here
HEE EoE Webpages
SuppoRTT (Supported Return to Training) - Click Here
Bursaries - Click Here
For queries regarding Individual Study Leave or to discuss the local application process please contact your Medical Education Department.
For queries regarding the HEE EoE additional approval form please contact email@example.com
Local College Tutors may approve aspirational study leave requests under the value of £100, in the place of the TPD.
Aspirational requests exceeding £100 will still need to be sent to the TPD for review and approval.
All other requirements must still be met in the process of applying for study leave (see flowchart for more detailed info).