Study Leave



Study Leave Funding and School Based Curriculum Delivery Funds



In previous years funding to support education and development for junior doctors has been made available to Trusts from Health Education England East of England (HEE EoE) local office through a number of different avenues. Funding streams have historically included placement fees, the school based study leave fund (SBSL) and the simulation fund.

A number of factors have influenced the need to change our processes regarding the provision and distribution of study leave funding.

In order to improve quality and access to study leave and curriculum support HEE EoE is committed to working in collaboration with our trusts, trainees and educators to comply with the following curriculum delivery principles:

  • - Improving junior doctors working lives by offering equity of access to relevant education and development opportunities, regardless of specialty, grade or employing Trust
  • - Improving trainee access to local teaching and development
  • - Improving trainee access to regional teaching and development
  • - Improving ease of access to additional education and development opportunities relevant to the curriculum which have been agreed as part of trainees’ personal development plans
  • - Prioritising delivery of courses and other learning which are explicitly required by the relevant curriculum
  • - Commissioning training from NHS providers in the east of England, wherever possible
  • - Monitoring of attendance at all locally delivered training events, using the Document in Appendix 2
  • - Monitoring the quality of the training delivered to ensure it is of an appropriate standard and meets trainees’ needs

We are currently awaiting further clarification from the National Team before devising our local processes for 2018/2019, this information will be disseminated at the earliest opportunity. 


Study Leave Funding

For the financial year 2017/18 the study leave budget has been split into two streams, a pot of money held by Trust/Education Centres for individual study leave requests and the Centralised Curriculum Delivery Fund (CCDF). As part of the ‘enhancing junior doctors working lives’ work, HEE have put together a proposal for greater coordination and control of the study leave budget to ensure that all trainees receive the funding required to progress through their specialty curriculum. As a result of this, funding curriculum requirements from the study leave budget will become the priority.

Individual study leave requests (stream 1):

HEE originally allocated £400 per tariff funded post, and has since increased this original allocation to £600 per tariff funded post for core and specialty. This funding may be used to claim towards to the costs of curriculum requirements, identified in the lists available on these webpages, or activity identified in the trainees Personal Development Plan (core and specialty).

School Based Curriculum Delivery Funds​ (stream 2):

The School Based Curriculum Delivery Funds, previously known as the ‘Centralised Curriculum Delivery Fund (CCDF)’ are for regionally organised teaching activity for each Foundation, Core and Specialty Training Programme, organised by TPDs/HoS to deliver curriculum related topics and support professional development. The School Based Curriculum Delivery Funds sit within the Trust where the relevant School Administrator/Head of School is based.



We would be pleased to answer any queries that you may have using the HEE EoE study leave mailbox:


Why has the funding process for study leave changed?

As part of a collaborative piece of work on improving Junior Doctors’ working lives to address non-contractual training issues, involving HEE, employer representatives, the BMA JDC, other junior doctor groups and the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AoMRC), it has been proposed that “HEE centralises the study budget nationally, in order to ensure that trainees receive the funding that they require to progress through their specialty curriculum, across the whole length of their programme”.

The update in funding process this year is the first step towards centralising the study leave budget for all trainees and should be viewed as a transitionary period.  

What support is currently available to me in order to ensure I gain all competences relevant to my level of training?

Individual Study Leave Funding - Stream 1

Individual study leave funding is available for trainees to support the achievement of competences as defined by the specialty curricula and activity identified in their Personal Development Plan (PDP). Trainees should ensure that curriculum requirements are relevant to their specialty and stage of training and part of their PDP as discussed with their Educational or Clinical Supervisor.

For GP trainees individual study leave funding is administered by HEE, EoE and reimbursed by the lead employer – Please click here for further information


School Based Curriculum Delivery Funds (previously known as CCDF) – Stream 2

The School Based Curriculum Delivery Funds, previously identified as the ‘Centralised Curriculum Delivery Fund (CCDF)’ is for regionally organised teaching activity for each Foundation, Core and Specialty training programme, organised by TPDs/HoS to deliver curriculum related topics and support professional development. This funding cannot be accessed by trainees on an individual basis. The School Based Curriculum Delivery Funds allocated to and managed by the Trust where the relevant School Administrator/Head of School is based.

How much can I claim for individual study leave?

Core and Specialty trainees can claim up to £600 towards the cost of activity identified in the approved curriculum lists and activity identified in the trainees PDP.

Foundation trainees may claim up to £400 towards the cost of their ALS course towards the end of F1 and for those entering directly into F2. 

How do I apply for study leave?

Trainees are required to apply for study leave time and funding via their employing Trust’s internal study leave process. Please contact your Education Centre if you require additional guidance on how to do so. 

Do I need to take study leave days from my allowance in order to attend my mandatory teaching and regional training days?

Yes. All trainees are required to attend teaching days and study leave should be applied for via the employing Trust’s process.

I’m taking paternity leave, how does this affect my study leave allowance?

In line with the ‘Terms and Conditions of Service for NHS Doctors and Dentists in Training (England) 2016’ paragraph 39 states:

“Where a doctor takes maternity leave their entitlement to study leave continues, and this may be taken during ‘keeping in touch’ days or will otherwise accrue to be taken at a later date.”

As paternity leave does not affect study leave entitlement trainees should be permitted to take study leave days, providing this does not affect safe service provision.

Does study leave funding or School Based Curriculum Delivery Funding cover the cost of my exam fees?

HEE is not currently in a position to cover the cost of examination fees for trainees; however, support to pass exams will be offered via centralised exam preparation courses and funded by the School Based Curriculum Delivery Funds. 

I'm going Out of Programme (OOP); will I still be entitled to study leave?

Trainees on Out of Programme Experience (OOPE), Out of Programme Research (OOPR) or Out of Programme Career Break (OOPC) are not entitled to study leave for the period they are out of programme. Trainees on Out of Programme Training (OOPT) are normally only entitled to study leave for this period if they are occupying a training post on a training programme in our region.

I’m commencing my Period of Grace, what am I entitled to?

There are no study leave or School Based Curriculum Delivery entitlements for trainees working their Period of Grace.

I am an F1 trainee, what are my entitlements?

The individual study leave funding available via the Trust should be used to support the implementation of ALS training towards the end of F1, and for those entering directly into the F2. The School Based Curriculum Delivery Fund covers the high fidelity simulation training available for F1 and F2. 

Can I use this funding to pay for life support courses?

If a life support course is identified in your curriculum then you may claim towards the cost from your individual study leave budget. If the course is an employer requirement, this should be funded by the Trust. 

I am a GP or Public Health trainee, what am I entitled to claim?

Public Health trainees do have a study leave entitlement, but due to the nature and requirements of the training programme a separate policy applies, this can be found here:

Details of GP study leave can be found on the following webpages:

Can i claim for travel expenses from the study leave budget?

Trainees may claim for reasonable traveling expenses when attending courses and this will be deducted from their individual study leave allowance. 

Are SAS Doctors entitled to any funding?

The School Based Curriculum Delivery Funds should not be used to fund courses that are not directly related to supporting the training of postgraduate medical trainees, although we continue to support the invitation of SAS doctors to appropriate regional teaching events on a marginal cost basis.

Access to funding for development opportunities for SAS doctors is available separately. Please see the SAS pages of the HEE EoE website for full details: SAS Home

How will study leave funding be administered/managed from 1st April 2018?

We are seeking further clarification from the National Team before devising our local processes for 2018/2019.