Frequently Asked Questions 

What is the LETB?

Local Education and Training Boards (LETBs) introduced from 01 April 2013 subsumed Deaneries and are responsible for the education and training of health and public health workers at a regional level. There are 13 LETBs in England all governed by the umbrella body Health Education England (HEE). The East of England (EoE) LETB is called HEEoE (Health Education East of England) and covers the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Essex serving a population of 5.5 million.

Please follow this link for a Regional Map of EOE Rotations:

What is an ARCP?

All doctors occupying a Specialty training post in Paediatrics are required to undertake at least one yearly assessment of their progress (Annual Review of Competence Progression).

For more information on ARCPs and ARCP outcomes please follow the link below to the HEEOE Assessment webpage:

A message from Dr Wilf Kelsall re ARCP Feb 2019

Who do I need to inform with regards to Maternity Leave and will I be due an ARCP?

If you will be taking Maternity Leave please contact your Training Programme Director as early as possible to help them arrange for the upcoming rotations. You will also need to inform Medical Staffing at your Trust and the LETB (Deanery) with your planned dates of leave:

Where possible we encourage trainees to return from Maternity Leave with the rotation dates of March / September.

Whilst you are on Maternity Leave you will not be required to have an ARCP however you will need to submit an up to date Form R which the Assessment Administrator will contact you for.

Am I eligible for Relocation Expenses?

This process is managed by HEEoE. Please see the relocation expenses page for the policy, eligibility criteria and application form:

When is the next upcoming Regional Study Day?

Please follow the link below to the Paediatrics Calendar for upcoming study days:

How do I add my Educational / Clinical Supervisor on Eportfolio?

If you need to update your Educational or Clinical Supervisor details on Eportfolio please contact one of the below with your full name, name of Trust, and the full name of your Supervisor:

RCPCH Eportfolio Team at  

LETB Assessment Administrator at 


Can I apply for an Inter Deanery Transfer (IDT)?

Trainees are able to apply for Inter Deanery Transfers in the two application windows each year providing they are in receipt of a satisfactory ARCP outcome. 

Information on applying for an IDT can be found here:


How do I apply for Out of Programme?

There are four types of Out of Programme:

- Out of Programme Research OOPR (Time out of programme for research)

- Out of Programme Training OOPT (Time out of programme for approved clinical training)

- Out of Programme Career Break OOPC (Time out of programme for career breaks. This OOP type will not count towards the award of a CCT)

​- Out of Programme Experience OOPE (Time out of programme for clinical experience in a post. This OOP type will not count towards the award of a CCT)

Please bear in mind that applications will take three months to be processed. Information for applying for OOP of any type or OOP extensions can be found here:

How do I apply for Less Than Full Time training?

All Less Than Full Time Training (LTFT) applications are processed electronically and can be found here

Please bare in mind that applications should be made at least two months in advance of proposed dates for LTFT to begin. 

How do I appeal an ARCP outcome?

Trainees are eligible to appeal ARCP outcomes 3 and 4 within ten working days of the ARCP date. A trainee can also ask for a review of an outcome 2. Please note that trainees cannot appeal outcome 5s. 

For information on Appeals please follow this link:

Do I need an ARCP if I am on Long Term sick leave?

If you are currently on long term sick leave then you will not be required to have an ARCP or maintain your Eportfolio. 

Please ensure that your Head of School is aware and the LETB Assessment Team Administrator is aware. 

What paperwork does an Academic Trainee need to complete for an ARCP?

Academic trainees will still need to partake in the ARCP process and will need to complete an Academic Supervisor's Report which the LETB Assessment Team Administrator can provide.  

Am I entitled to a Grace Period post CCT?

All trainees are entitled to take a six month Grace Period post CCT. 

Please liaise with your Training Programme Director for further information on taking a grace period.

When do I need to start applying for my CCT?

You may start preparing your CCT paperwork within six months of your completion of training date and you will need to contact the RCPCH for the necessary paperwork.

Please note that your completed application cannot be signed and submitted to the GMC until you have received an ARCP outcome 6 indicating completion of training. 

Wednesday, 13 February, 2019
Make this a News Item?: 
Show Between Dates: 
Wednesday, 13 February, 2019