The East of England is a large geographical area but this enables us to provide a training programme that is quite diverse and our programmes have a good variety of placements. Training programme directors (TPD's) are supportive in most instances to club rotations which enable a trainee to complete part of their training in hospitals around a specific area to enable easy access.
Where we provide training Training is provided in one of the 17 hospitals in the Region. Placements are usually for 12 months and are in district general hospitals in Bedford, Bury St Edmunds, Chelmsford, Colchester, Great Yarmouth (James Paget), Harlow, Huntingdon (Hinchingbrooke), Ipswich , Kings Lynn, Peterborough, Southend, Stevenage and Watford At level 1 training we try and cluster these rotations geographically around the larger teaching hospitals so that all trainees will have opportunities to rotate through one of the three Regional Centres in Cambridge, Luton and Norwich.
Rotations such as Hinchingbrooke, Peterborough and Cambridge James Paget, Kings Lynn and Norwich Watford, Stevenage and Luton In addition there is the possibility to spend 6 months at Great Ormond Street Hospital in paediatric cardiology (typically at ST3 level) in order to gain further sub-specialty experience. We do face to face ARCP panels for all ST1’s and ST3 trainees There are 4 regional ST1-3 study days a year designed and led by trainees for trainees, these receive excellent feedback.
The East of England is a large geographical area covering 5 counties, 17 acute hospital trusts and 5.5 million people. Click on the links below, or from the drop- down menu, for Information about the available rotations:
- Basildon University Hospital NHS Trust
- Bedford hospital NHS Trust
- Cambridge University Hospital (Addenbrookes) NHS Trust
- Colchester General Hospital NHS Trust
- Lister Hospital NHS Trust - Stevenage Herts
- Hinchingbrooke Hospital NHS Trust
- Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust
- James Paget University Hospital NHS Trust - Great Yarmouth
- Broomfield Hospital NHS Trust
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital NHS Trust
- Peterborough and Stamford Hospital NHS Trust
- Queen Elizabeth King’s Lynn Hospital NHS Trust
- Southend University Hospital NHS Trust
- Luton and Dunstable Hospital NHS Trust
- The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust - Harlow
- Watford General Hospital NHS Trust
- West Suffolk Hospital NHS Trust Bury St Edmunds