Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for reimbursement of removal or rotational travel expenses?

Please read the Policy for the Reimbursement of Removal or Rotational Travel Expenses for Doctors in Training prior to filling in your application as it is the trainee's responsibility to check their eligibility prior to submitting a claim.

How to apply:

  1. Download and complete the application form available on the following webpage:
  2. Send this to medical staffing at your employing Trust for processing with any supporting evidence/receipts. Trust contacts can be found here:
  3. The employing NHS Trust will process your claim and inform you of the outcome. 
  4. If your application is approved you will need to claim reimbursement from your employing trust within 28 days of receiving your outcome. 
  5. If your application is declined and you feel is has been processed incorrectly of unfairly, the appeals procedure to follow is available in the policy. 
How often and when do I need to apply for my expenses?

Applications for expenses need to be submitted before on within 2 months of incurring the costs and you will only need to apply once for the duration of your post (up to 12 months).

If your post is extended or changed in any way you will need to submit a new application following a change of circumstances for eligibility to be reviewed, this also applies to trainees who reach their approval limit or approval date and require further expenses. 

Please see table below for examples of application deadlines:

Claim Type:

Post start date:

Date costs incurred:

Application deadline:

Excess Travel

1st August 2018

First day of commute

(3rd August 2018)

3rd October 2018

Continuing Commitments

1st August 2018

Rent paid from 25th July 2018

25th September 2018

Relocation of property

(Rented – Rented or Sale/Purchase)

3rd September 2018

12th August 2018 – 9thSeptember 2018.

Multiple expenses.

9th November 2018

(Two calendar months from final cost incurred)

Travel in lieu of relocation

3rd September 2018

 First day of commute

(3rd September 2018)

3rd November 2018

NOTE: New app to be submitted once relocation has taken place.

Why can't I submit a posted or hard copy of my eligibility application?

Paper applications cannot be accepted because all trainee information and correspondence relating to relocation is stored on an electronic database, printing or scanning your application will also invalidate the digital ID (signature) required and deem the form invalid.

What is a digital ID/electronic signature and why is it required?

All signatures are now required in the digital ID format so documents can be verified, these signatures contain hidden information detailing by who and when the signature was placed and confirms the document has not been altered in any way. Any forms signed incorrectly will invalidate the form and a new application will need to be completed. Forms submitting that are missing the Digital ID will not be processed and no outcome will be provided.

How your digital ID should look:


Guidance on how to set up and input a digital ID can be found here:

How much can I claim for removal or rotational travel expenses?

Claims of up to £8000.00 can be made from FY1 to CCT (Certificate of Completion of Training) per trainee household when the eligibility criteria provided in the policy is met. Trainees on a Foundation Programme may claim up to £2000.00 of the overall £8000.00 maximum sum during their foundation training years (FY1 and FY2).

As part of establishing your eligibility to claim it must be confirmed the new claim does not exceed this limit, therefore it is the trainee’s responsibility to include any previous relocation reimbursements from FY1 onwards for all members of the household and inclusive of all HEE regions.

For information on previous claim amounts please contact medical staffing at your previous employing NHS Trust(s) who will be able to provide this information, it is advisable to document any correspondence as this may be needed as evidence to support your claim.


What do I need to submit with my Approval of Eligibility Claim Form?

Once the application form has been filled in it must be submitted to the employing NHS Trust, the Employer and HEE reserves the right to request further evidence from trainees during processing and if required it will be requested by an administrator.

If approved all original receipts/invoices for all costs will be required by the employer in order to reimburse the expenses. If these are not provided upon request the costs cannot be reimbursed.

I am working a night shift/long shift/late night and do not feel safe to travel home, am I eligible to claim for an overnight stay?
Yes, trainees are eligible to claim up to a maximum of £55 bed and breakfast for an overnight stay if they do not feel safe to travel home after working a night shift/long shift/late night via the Policy for the Reimbursement of Removal or Rotational Travel Expenses for Doctors in Training. The trainee will need to contact their Medical Staffing teams at their employing Trust regarding the internal process and complete the Approval of Eligibility Claim Form 2017.
Where is my base place of work?

Your base place of work is the first hospital on your current training programme, (foundation/core/run through/higher).

The recruitment points are;

- FY1

- CT1/ST1

- ST3/ST4

New Criteria applicable to posts starting 1st August 2016 onwards:

However, a trainee may wish to change their base hospital should they have a home that is more convenient to the place of work in which the second or subsequent post in the training programme is to be held. In order change the base place of work a Base Change Request Form must be completed and submitted for approval to the employing NHS Trust. Trainees must be able to provide evidence that the second or subsequent post is definite, as opposed to it being a possible post on a rotation and requests will not be considered without confirmation of this.  

How do I claim for excess travel?

The policy reimburses travel ‘in excess’ of the home to base journey, if the trainee chooses not to relocate to their new place of work but to travel the greater distance they may be eligible for excess travel expenses.

The base place of work is defined as the first place of work on the training programme (foundation, core, run-through, higher) unless a base change request has been approved. The home to base journey is calculated using the address the trainee lived at whilst working at their base place of work. If you have relocated since working at your base place of work, please include this address on your application form.

Home to new place of work, minus home to base journey = Excess Mileage.


If eligible you will be informed of a daily reimbursement rate, claims will then be paid based on actual days worked.


Can I apply for property relocation expenses and excess travel during the same post?

Trainees would not be eligible to claim for relocation expenses and excess travel during the same post. If reimbursed for a move, it is expected that your new property is conveniently located for your new post in order not to require assistance for excess travel. A trainee that chooses not to relocate but to travel the greater distance to the new place of work may apply for excess travel expenses. 

What rate is mileage reimbursed at?

Junior Doctors that have moved over to the new 2016 contract will be reimbursed at a rate of 28p per mile. 

Junior Doctors on a previous contract will be reimbursed at the public transport rate of 24p per mile. 

All travel is calculated using AA route planners shortest route. 

Am I able use a removal company of my own choice?

Three written competitive quotations must be obtained in order to claim for reimbursement of removals, trainees may choose to use a more expensive removals company but reimbursement will be limited to the lowest quote.

If three quotes are not provided removals expenses will not be approved.

How do I apply for relocation expenses involving the sale or purchase of a property?

When the trainee has sold the previous residence in order to relocate to the new area of employment, the policy reimburses fees relating to the purchase of the house on a ‘‘broadly comparable standard’ (in terms of present housing arrangements, i.e. rented or property owner, number of rooms, semi-detached) to that occupied in the area of previous employment.’

In order to be eligible the previous residence must have been occupied by the trainee and be (or in the process of being) sold.

Stamp duty is only eligible for reimbursement when the previous property has been sold, in order to purchase a new property in the area of new employment. 

The policy does not reimburse expenses incurred due to the purchase of additional properties.

All expenses and fees stated on your form will require supporting evidence/receipts.

How do I apply for accommodation costs and return visits home (continuing commitments)?

The policy reimburses additional accommodation costs when trainees have no choice but to relocate for their training programme and for good reason cannot relocate their entire household, or are in the process of selling and buying a property and may be incurring the costs of two rent/mortgage payments for a short period of time. If the permanent residence is outside the East of England, it is expected that the intention is to relocate that residence to the area in which training and employment has been accepted. If there is no intention to relocate the permanent residence to this region then the cost of an additional property would remain that of the owner/tenant.

Continuing commitments cannot be claimed if the trainee only has one monthly rent/mortgage out-going. 

I am currently in a LAT/LAS post in the east of England, what am I eligible to claim?

Unfortunately junior doctors in LAT/LAS posts are not eligible to claim for reimbursement of removal or rotational travel expenses. Trainees must have applied for and been successfully appointed to a rotational training programme and been issued with a National Training Number (NTN) in order to be eligible for a claim.

Will I be taxed on reimbursement of removal or rotational travel expenses?

If you have any queries regarding tax you will need to speak directly to your employer and/or HMRC as none of the team at Health Education England, East of England are qualified to provide advice on tax or national insurance contributions.

According to HM Revenue & Customs “if your employer helps you to move home because of your job, any payments you receive, or any goods or services provided for you, are treated as part of your earnings for tax and national insurance contribution [NICs] purposes. However, the first £8,000 of any help you get from your employer is exempt from tax and NICs as long as certain conditions are met”. 

Claims for excess travel and continuing commitments may be liable to tax and national insurance.

What happens to my relocation expenses if I leave my Training Programme before CCT?

Trainees that voluntarily leave their Training Programme before the Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) date will be required to repay a proportion of their relocation expenses.

This is calculated using the following sliding scale:

If Trainee Leaves

Percentage of Costs reimbursed by HEEoE to be Reclaimed

Within 6 months


Within 6 – 24 months


24+ months



How do I apply to change my base place of work?

In order to request a change to your base place of work an electronic request form must be downloaded, completed, and submitted to Health Education England, East of England. The request must contain evidence confirming the second or subsequent post, either from the Recruitment Team of Training Programme Director. The base change request form and full guidance can be found here:

Is there any other financial support available?

In the eventuality that all of the excess costs cannot be coverede by the policy, leaving a trainee in severe financial difficulty there are a number of charities, approved by HEE, available to provide assistance.


Please see below, links to a number of charities which maybe of use:


Royal Medical Foundation


T: 01372 821010 



StepChange Debt Charity


T: 0800 138 1111


Royal Medical Benevolent Fund


T: 020 8540 9194





Please be aware that these charities should not be used to cover the costs of all expenditures but only to cover costs that the relocation excess travel policy is unable to reimburse and leave the trainee in severe financial difficulty.

Are MTI trainees eligible to claim Relocation and Travel expenses?

Under the HEE East of England Relocation Travel Expenses to be eligible trainees must be funded by the Postgraduate Dean an posses a National Training Number.

Unfortunately as MTIs do not fall under these criteria they are unable to claim under the East of England policy.


Wednesday, 16 January, 2019
Make this a News Item?: 
Show Between Dates: 
Wednesday, 16 January, 2019