HEE Midlands and East

Non-UK Dentists

The information here will be of use to those dentists from overseas wishing to practice in the UK. Dentists in this group fall into two categories and the two groups have different pathways to practice in the UK. The groups are either from within the European Economic Area (EEA) or from the rest of the world. The EEA comprises countries from the European Union and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland is also included in this group under a reciprocal arrangement.

Information for EU and Overseas dentists regarding immigration enquiries can be found on the National Advice Centre for Postgraduate Dental Education website (NACPDE)


The rules governing dental practice here are complex and the regulations have recently changed. You will need to contact the General Dental Council (GDC) to gain information about the latest registration requirements. Full details are on their website at http://www.gdc-uk.org/

You will need to complete the Request for Registration with the General Dental Council form which can be obtained from the GDC.

If you have qualified outside the EEA you will probably have to pass the Overseas Registration Examination (ORE) before you can register with the GDC. This has now superseded the International Qualifying Examination. Details about the ORE can be found on the GDC website.

If you have a qualification from within the EEA you will not have to take the ORE.

Once you are registered with the GDC you will have to decide how and where you wish to work. This could be in primary or secondary care, in the NHS or privately. Job advertisements can be found in the British Dental Journal. If you wish to work in primary care NHS dentistry and have managed to find a position you will need to apply to the relevant Area Team (AT) for that area to be included in the National Performers List.

The National Performers List website has a postcode search function, which will give you contact details fo the relevant Area Teams. This can be found at:


The application pack for inclusion on the National Performers List can also be obtained from the NPL website at http://www.performer.england.nhs.uk/Documents

You will have to submit several documents and you will have to show that you:

  • Have completed Vocational Training/Dental Foundation, or
  • Are exempt Vocational Training/Dental Foundation. You will be exempt if you qualified in the EEA but not the UK. ATs may nevertheless wish to have some form of assessment if you have had very limited experience of working in the NHS or have had a significant career break. You will also have to satisfy language requirements such as the International English Language Testing System or an equivalent if you are going to work in an NHS dental practice.

For an outline of the Application Process please click here.

Tuesday, 13 November, 2018
Make this a News Item?: 
Show Between Dates: 
Thursday, 30 April, 2020