Tier 2a GP Educators (Out-of-hours Supervisors) are approved to provide clinical supervision to GP trainees in out-of-hours services.
To become an Out-of-hours Supervisor follow the 5 steps below.
The first stage in becoming approved as a Tier 2 educator is completion of a series of e-learning modules.
To be able to access online learning you will need to register on www.e-lfh.org.uk . Once you are logged on please search for a relevant programme (you either use search box or browse programmes list). To access specific modules please follow the pathway: Programme/Catalogue/Module
- Educator Training Resources / 01- Ensuring Safe and Effective patient care through training / Supervision
- Educators Training Resources / 02- Establishing and maintaining an environment for learning / Equality and diversity
- Educators Training Resources / 03-Teaching and facilitating learning / Supporting learners
- Educators Training Resources / 04-Enhancing learning through assessment / Video. Introduction to hospital training [secondary care]
- Educators Training Resources / 04-Enhancing learning through assessment / Video. Introduction to GP specialty training [primary care]
- Preceptorship (PRC) / Introduction to preceptorship / 01_07 Reflection and reflective practice
Please note - you will be required to submit evidence of completion and reflect on your personal learning points as part of your approval form so would be advised to keep records as you complete the modules.
Once the e-learning is complete you will need to attend Tier 2 learning day(s) at one of the regions Higher Education Institutes, which will help you to learn about the key ideas underpinning clinical education.
Please note that due to current restrictions on holding meetings in person these training days are being converted into online training days. A list of the courses and application details can be found here.
Again, please keep records of your learning and reflection - they will help you to complete the application form.
To help you put theory into real world practice you will then need to attend one of the Health Education England Hub days.
Please note that due to current restrictions on holding meetings in person these training days are being converted into online training days. Details of these days and booking can be found here.
And then to learn about the specifics of supervising a GP trainee including using the GP ePortfolio you will need to complete the GP School Specific Educator Training.
Due to current restrictions on holding meetings in person all contents has been video-recorded on Panopto.
For Tier 2a you are only required to complete the 'Fundamental' video pack, followed by a short online tutorial.
For further details on GP School Specific Educator Training and to book an online tutorial please click here.