Tier 2b Educators - also known as Associate Trainers - can provide Clinical Supervision to Foundation Doctors or GP Trainees (up to ST2) in in-hours GP Services.
They are also automatically approved as Tier 2a Educators so can provide Out-of-Hours Clinical Supervision.
To become an Associate Trainer please follow the 5 steps below:
The first stage in becoming approved as a Tier 2 educator is completion of a series of e-learning modules.
To be able to access online learning you will need to register on www.e-lfh.org.uk . Once you are logged on please search for a relevant programme (you either use search box or browse programmes list). To access specific modules please follow the pathway: Programme/Catalogue/Module
- Educator Training Resources / 01-Ensuring Safe and Effective patient care through training / Supporting educational and clinical supervisors
- Educator Training Resources / 04-Enhancing learning through assessment / Video. GP – Clinical evaluation and procedural skills (CEPS)
- Educator Training Resources / 04-Enhancing learning through assessment / Video. GP – Consultation Observation Tool (COT)
- Educator Training Resources / 04-Enhancing learning through assessment / Video. GP – Case based discussion (CBD)
- Educator Training Resources / 04-Enhancing learning through assessment / Effective Feedback
- Educator Training Resources / 05-Supporting and monitoring educational progress / Video. GP – Clinical supervisor report
Please note - you will be required to submit evidence of completion and reflect on your personal learning points as part of your approval form so would be advised to keep records as you complete the modules.
Once the e-learning is complete you will need to attend Tier 2 learning day(s) at one of the regions Higher Education Institutes, which will help you to learn about the key ideas underpinning clinical education.
Please note that due to current restrictions on holding meetings in person these training days are being converted into online training days. A list of the courses and application details can be found here.
Again, please keep records of your learning and reflection - they will help you to complete the application form.
To help you put theory into real world practice you will then need to attend one of the Health Education England Hub days.
Please note that due to current restrictions on holding meetings in person these training days are being converted into online training days. Details of these days and booking can be found here.
And then to learn about the specifics of supervising a GP trainee including using the GP ePortfolio you will need to complete the GP School Specific Educator Training.
Due to current restrictions on holding meetings in person all contents has been video-recorded on Panopto.
For Tier 2b you are only required to complete the 'Fundamental' and 'Intermediate' video packs, followed by a short online tutorial.
For further details on GP School Specific Educator Training and to book an online tutorial please click here.