SuppoRTT - Return to Medical Training
Within the east of England Region, we would like to work closely with Health Education England (HEE) and the General Medical Council (GMC) to support returning to work for doctors who have been out of clinical practice for a long period of time. We know across the country that there are tens of thousands of doctors that have been out of clinical practice for over 3 years, and that there may difficulty for them returning to the system.
In light of the above, we are looking to pilot a return to practice programme within the east of England which is safe, secure and successful for would be returners, trusts and patients.
There may be some hesitation in doctors returning to training following a long career break for a variety of reasons, i.e. feeling a lack of confidence or de-skilled. This is where the SuppoRTT initiative aims to provide a scheme that allows access to supportive measures, clinical experience and training with the aim to increase confidence and a pathway for doctors to return to training.
HEE, EoE is aiming to recruit a number of returning doctors in this year to the programme and offer shadowing, simulation, clinical skills, career hub event and support to aid their return to training.
Support offered as part of the programme includes:
- A six week unpaid observership with access to a range of training opportunities (funded by HEE)
- A two week enhanced shadowing period preceding the commencement of their FY2 post.
- A four month FY2 training post where there are existing gaps as a result of ‘out of sync’ trainees.
- They will be provided with a near peer ‘buddy’ mentor.
- On completion of the programme, these doctors will be reviewed by an Educational Supervisor and if appropriate will be signed off for their Foundation Certificate of Completion.
- The Educational Supervisor will act as a guide during their return to the workplace.
- The Professional Support and Wellbeing (PSW) services will provide careers advice and psychological support to doctors where necessary using the already established infrastructure available.
- The returning doctor will have the same educational rights as the foundation year 2 doctors pro rata for the 4 months in post.
Applicants must have completed Foundation Training year 2 or equivalent training.
Applicants must have, or previously had a full licence to practice with no GMC conditions. Ideally applicants will be either currently registered or can demonstrate that they will be able to renew their registration within the application period. Please be aware you will be required to have a full licence with the GMC to take up this post. Applicants will not progress to the interview stage without providing evidence that they hold a full GMC licence.
Applicants must have been out of medical practice for three to five years.
If you meet the above eligibility criteria and would like to apply for this programme, please complete the below Expressions of Interest form and submit this to SuppoRTT.email@example.com before the deadline.
The deadline for applications is 16:00 Thursday 28th November 2019.
How to download and open the HEE EoE form:
Please ensure you download and save the document locally on your PC/laptop, then open it as a PDF with Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader before completing. The form cannot be opened or completed in a web browser.