• What expenses can I claim for Recruitment?

We do not pay expenses for the Stage 2 assessment as you are asked to attend at your nearest test centre. Reasonable travel expenses are paid for attending Stage 3 Selection Assessment Centre up to £50, we do not pay for overnight accommodation or subsistence. Claims for expenses must be received by the specified date; we do not pay for any late submissions or claims made on an incorrect form.

  • What does my training involve?

During your 3 year training programme for General Practice you will undertake 18 months in hospital posts and 18 months in a General Practice setting.

  • Can I transfer Deanery/area once I have started training?

You are only eligible to transfer to a different Deanery (Inter Deanery Transfer) or within your current Deanery (Intra Deanery Transfer) once you have been in post for a minimum of 12 months and can show a significant change in circumstances since taking up the post. Please refer to the IDT section for further information with regard to applying and panel dates.

  • Can I withdraw from my offer at short notice?

It is unfair to other candidates, the employers, and ultimately our patients if the recruitment process is misused in any way. It is the policy of the East of England Deanery to write to the candidate’s referees and to the GMC Fitness to Practise Panel if acceptance for training is withdrawn without good reason less than four weeks before the post start date in August.

In a number of cases that have been referred, the GMC have issued a formal warning to the doctor.

  • When will I hear about my rotations (programmes)?

The Training Programme Director will have taken into account previous posts you have undertaken when allocating trainees to their programmes, they will ensure that you receive a full and balanced programme in order to obtain your CCT. You will be contacted by the Training Programme Director to be advised of your rotations approximately 2 months prior to the start of your training.

  • I need a Tier 2 visa

Please contact Hilary Foster, GP Recruitment Co-ordinator as soon as you have accepted an offer in order for the Deanery to make an appointment with you to apply for your Certificate of Sponsorship. You will be charged for the cost of the COS, this will not be reimbursed. 

  • Do I need to have a driving licence and a car?

On starting their first appointment to General Practice, all GP registrars must have a full current driving licence. In the unfortunate situation where a GP registrar does NOT possess a full driving licence when in a General Practice post, he/she will be expected to provide equivalent transport for themselves - e.g. a chauffeured service or taxi. The cost of chauffeur/taxi must be borne by the trainee and is not reimbursed or reclaimable.

  • Can I defer the start of my specialty training programme?

In line with the Gold Guide, the start of training may only be deferred on statutory grounds e.g. maternity leave or ill health. You are no longer eligible to defer your start date for reasons such as research.

Your deferred start date will be at the discretion of the Training Programme Director depending on the timings of the posts within your programme. This is to ensure you complete a balanced 3 year programme and gain your CCT.

  • Can I train Less Than Full Time?

LTFT training is accessible to doctors in GP training who have a well-founded reason for being unable to work full-time. Decisions will be made on a case by case basis but acceptable reasons include disability or ill-health, caring for an ill/disabled partner, relative or other dependent or childcare. Please note that doctors must undertake training on at least a half-time basis in order to comply with requirements of the European Specialist Qualification Order (1995).

Trainees wishing to train less than full time may register interest at the point of application into specialty training but may only apply following acceptance into training. Applications may also be made at any time during training.

Please apply using Oriel

  • What do I need to do before I start my training?

A Form R must be completed and returned to the Deanery in order to obtain your NTN, please click here to download the form.

As stated on your application form, if you are currently in your FY2 year of a UK Foundation Programme you must provide GP Recruitment with a copy of your FACD 5.2 in order to be eligible to start training in August.

If starting in a hospital post, Medical Staffing will be in contact to process your paperwork. If you are starting in a General Practice post you need to contact the Contractor Payments Services in order to be put on the Performers List and complete pre-employment checks, please allow 2 months for this to be completed.

  • Trainee appointment forms & payment agencies

The GP Practice will complete the Trainee Appointment Form with you prior to starting in practice. This must be completed and forwarded back to the Deanery in order for payments to be made.

  • What assessments will I have to complete during my training, and when?

The MRCGP comprises three separate components: an Applied Knowledge Test (AKT), a Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA) and Workplace Based Assessment (WPBA). Please refer to the RCGP website for full information on each of the exams and this link for full details on the WPBA requirements.

  • Can I claim MDU?

Yes this is claimed through the Contractor Payments Services.

  • Study leave

The Deanery does not pay in advance for courses, you will need to claim once the course has been completed. Please note we do not pay exam fees. The study leave allowance isn't split over ST years, this is an allowance which covers your whole time in GP. Trainees can claim study leave through the Deanery whilst in a GP Placement. When the trainee is in a hospital post they can claim via Medical Staffing at the Hospital. Study leave entitlement is £600 per annum up to £900 for 18 months in GP Placements.

  • How do I use the e-portfolio?

You can download the ‘Guide for Trainees on how to use the e-portfolio’ – RGCP Guide for Trainees.

  • What if I have an unsatisfactory Educational Supervisors Report (ESR)?

Your Educational Supervisor will need to discuss with you their reasons for selecting that outcome, they will most likely also inform your Programme Directors as well and a meeting (locally) will need to be organised to take place for a discussion on an appropriate training plan for you to follow. If following that meeting your Programme Directors feel the appropriate decision for your future training should be made by an ARCP Panel then you will be invited to attend the panel.

  • Do I have to attend each ST year ARCP Panel review?

No, unless your Educational Supervisor has expressed concerns about your training to your Programme Directors. If that has happened then please see the answer to ‘What if I receive an Unsatisfactory ESR'?